Cannot connect to mail server with NoGnus version, well with Gnus

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Cannot connect to mail server with NoGnus version, well with Gnus
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:11:09 +0200

Hello,

I am a long time (and, of course, obviously very happy) user of Gnus. I've
been using it under Emacs 22/23 and on Ubuntu/Windows.

My current config is:

- GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-10-14 on LENNART-69DE564
  (patched)
- Gnus v5.13

Now, I would like to use the *NoGnus CVS version* (pulled yesterday), but fail
to do so:

[...]
Opening nnimap server on mc...
Opening connection to mail.company.com via tls...
Opening TLS connection to `mail.company.com'...
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps
mail.company.com'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `gnutls-cli --insecure -p imaps mail.company.com
--protocols ssl3'...failed
Opening TLS connection with `openssl s_client -connect mail.company.com:imaps
-no_ssl2 -ign_eof'...failed
Opening TLS connection to `mail.company.com'...failed
Unable to open server nnimap+mc due to: Wrong number of arguments: nil, 0
Opening nnimap server on mc...failed:
[...]
Warning: Opening nnimap server on mc...failed: ; Unable to open server
nnimap+mc due to: Wrong number of arguments: nil, 0

Using the *exact same `.gnus' file* and the *Gnus v5.13 built-in* libraries, I
have:

Opening nnimap server on mc...
imap: Connecting to mail.company.com...
Waiting for response from mail.company.com...done
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...
Opening STARTTLS connection to `mail.company.com:143'...
imap: Reconnecting with stream `starttls'...failed
imap: Connecting to mail.company.com...done
Parsing authinfo file `~/.authinfo'.
auth-source-user-or-password: get (login password) for mc (imap)
c:/home/sva/.hide/.a: 0% (0/252)
c:/home/sva/.hide/.a: 100% (252/252)
auth-source-user-or-password: found (login password)=SECRET for mc (imap)
imap: Plaintext authentication...
imap: Login successful...
Opening nnimap server on mc...done
nnimap: Listing subscribed mailboxes on mc...done

In other words:

- From Gnus v5.13, I can connect to my company mail server as expected[1]
- With dev version, Gnus cannot connect to my company mail server

The interesting part of my .gnus config should be:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
      ;; configure incoming mail
      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
            `(
              (nnimap "mc"
                      ;; account label allows for multiple accounts on the
                      ;; same server (see `.authinfo' for logins)
                      (nnimap-address "mail.missioncriticalit.com")

                      ;; authenticator `login'
                      (nnimap-authenticator login)
                      )

              (nntp "gmane"
                    (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
                    (nntp-port-number 119))))
#+end_src

For information, when I used Thunderbird for testing purpose, it detected the
following parameters to connect to my company mail server:

- connection security: STARTTLS
- authentication method: normal password

Any idea what could go wrong?

Best regards,
  Seb

Footnotes:

[1] Well, just one detail. For some reason, I have to emit a C-g when I see
the sentence "Opening STARTTLS connection to `mail.company.com:143'..." in the
echo area, and then Gnus goes (successfully) further.
--
Sébastien Vauban