Re: Managing groups added from within gnus

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: Managing groups added from within gnus
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 19:19:04 -0500

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> "LG" == Lowell Gilbert <lgusenet@be-well.ilk.org> writes:
>
> LG> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:
>
> ---8<---[snipped 6 lines]---8<---
>>> Eventually I had to C-g out, resulting in gnus not connecting at all
>>> (imaps connection would have been possible but gnus just aborted all
>>> together).
>>>
>>> So I was wondering, how do I disable servers/groups that I'm
>>> subscribed to but that I have not configured in my .gnus.el but
>>> through the group buffer (`gnus-group-browse-foreign-server')?
> ---8<---[snipped 17 lines]---8<---
>
> LG> I handle such issues with group levels; the newsgroups are lesser
> LG> priority than my mail groups, so I can tell Gnus to check the latter
> LG> without the former.  This only works if a strict hierarchy of
> LG> importance exists for the groups, but in my case (and, I suspect,
> LG> I'm a common case in this), it's just fine.
>
> LG>  - Lowell
>
> Sorry if I was unclear about this - I couldn't get gnus to load any
> groups *at all*.

Even if you invoke Gnus with a startup level that is lower than the
level of the newsgroups that it's hanging on?  I do this all the time
when my news server is unreachable, and it's a two-keystroke solution to
the problem...

[I'm assuming you know what group levels are and how to use them, since
you aren't questioning that part.]

> And as said groups live somewhere in .newsrc.eld madness I couldn't get
> them out of the way either.

That's easy functionality with groups also; you just start Gnus at level
zero, so that *no* groups are checked at startup, and then you
manipulate the groups from the "*Group*" buffer.