Re: my vs maildir

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: my vs maildir
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 09:50:08 +0100

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:

> our imap server stores mail in maildir.

So you get them from IMAP.  Why not simply access them with nnimap then?
IMAP has very good search facilities (Gnus nnir' search exploits them),
so I don't see a good reason to index them locally again (unless the
remote imap server doesn't do a good job here).

If you need to access your mails when you are offline, then you might
consider mirroring the remote imap server on a local imap server using
offlineimap, just like Richard suggested.

I did that for years, it worked fine, but I've switched back to plain
nnimap.  It's very fast since Lars rewrote it some weeks ago, and
basically, I'm always online.  And if I really go on a offline train
trip, I tick the mails I need before in Gnus.  Then they are accessible
also when offline.

Bye,
Tassilo