Re: w3m display buffer

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: w3m display buffer
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:47:36 -0000

Romero,

Just realized I'm in the "gnus" group, not "gnu" emacs group. I really
must move my question about emacs and w3m elsewhere.

At present, in order to display a html file (I have a different emacs
seesion for when I want to edit it), I do

        ! w3m filename.html

There are two problems with this. Most of these html files have an eight
or twn digit file name, and copying it is subject to error and takes a
little time. Second, Sunrise-Commander appears as two panes, but beneat
these panes is a scratch buffer (Lisp Interaction) mode. When I run the
above command, the scratch buffer is divided into two panes, and the
right one (Shell Command Output) displays the w3m rendering of the file.

First, I need to get rid of the scratch buffer altogether, for I don't
use it for this session of emas. Doing that might for the (Shell Command
Output) to occupy the right Sunrise-Commander pane, which is fine.

Also I have to figure out how to run w3m on the current html file with
simply a RET, like I do with PDF. There is a browse-url.el that might
help, but I don't know if it is compatible with Sunrise-Commander.

Actually a third problem is that I don't see that I'm using
emacs-w3m. Other than a faster loading, I don't see what it is supposed
to do beyond whast the above command does.

You suggest that I define the variable "browse-url-browser-function". I
tried it, but could save it only for current session because I'm using a
custom emacs init file. I selected "Emacs W3", although I'm not sure of
its realtion to emacs-w3m or w3m. In any case, it opens the source FS,
but no buffer holds the w3(m) output.

Haines Brown