Re: Gnus works `at it is' but isn't that a coincidence?

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Gnus works `at it is' but isn't that a coincidence?
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:42:42 -0000

Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:

>> The primary method isn't prefixed. The secondary ones are.
>
> Prefixed? Huh? In which way? You meant that if method1 is stuff1 and
> method2 is stuff2, stuff1 is not prefixed, and, thus, everything
> calling stuff1 without prefix will call stuff1, but, to call stuff2,
> one needs to add some prefix before operations?

I suppose what he means is that running `M-x gnus' connects to the
primary method, but giving a prefix argument `C-u M-x gnus' allows you
to connect to the other methods.  You have to type in the method you
want to connect to and the group name in the minibuffer.

I suppose this is a hang-over from the old days when people just used
the local news server and they went to the other news servers only if
the local server was down or something.  I don't think it makes sense
any more to split things into a "primary" method and "secondary"
methods.  But old habits die hard...

Cheers,
Uday Reddy