GPG password not asked under Windows

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: GPG password not asked under Windows
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:46:30 -0000

Hello,

Due to a PC crash, I've a temp solution working now on Windows instead of
Ubuntu.

I've installed EmacsW32 23, Gnus from CVS (Friday) and Cygwin (with, among
others, gnupg).

I'm using the same .gnus file as before, which worked perfectly under Ubuntu.

With the following config, under Ubuntu, Gnus asked me twice my symetric
password to open:

1. .authinfo-news.gpg
2. .authinfo

and then showed me the Group buffer with all mails and news, as expected.

      ;; .netrc-like file that holds nntp authinfo passwords
      (setq nntp-authinfo-file
            (if (file-exists-p "~/.hide/.authinfo-news.gpg")
                "~/.hide/.authinfo-news.gpg"
              "~/.authinfo"))

      ;; warn if file does not exist
      (unless (file-exists-p nntp-authinfo-file)
        (message "Can't find `%s'; I will ask for user name and password..."
                 nntp-authinfo-file)
        ;; sleep 3 s so that you can read the warning
        (sit-for 3))

      ;; using Gnus for news (see `gnus-secondary-select-methods' as well)
      (setq gnus-select-method
            ;; first NNTP server
            '(nntp "eternal-september.org"  ; was motzarella.org
                   (nntp-address "news.eternal-september.org")
                   (nnir-search-engine nntp)))

      ;; required when posting to an authenticated news server
      (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook 'nntp-send-authinfo)

      ;; .netrc-like file that holds mail authinfo passwords
      (setq nnimap-authinfo-file
            (if (file-exists-p "~/.hide/.authinfo.gpg")
                "~/.hide/.authinfo.gpg"
              "~/.authinfo"))

      ;; warn if file does not exist
      (unless (file-exists-p nnimap-authinfo-file)
        (message "Can't find `%s'; I will ask for user name and password..."
                 nnimap-authinfo-file)
        ;; sleep 3 s so that you can read the warning
        (sit-for 3))

      ;; using Gnus for mail
      (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
            `(
              (nnimap "work"
                      ;; account label allows for multiple accounts on the
                      ;; same server (see `.authinfo' for logins)
                      (nnimap-address "mail.work.com"))))

      ;; adding secondary NNTP server
      (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods
                   '(nntp "gmane"
                          (nntp-address "news.gmane.org")
                          (nntp-port-number 119)))

Under Windows, it asks me for the first password (the one for accessing the
news), then tries to connect to

    Opening STARTTLS connection to `mail.missioncriticalit.com:143'...

But it fails to connect after 30 seconds or so.

What I've noticed is that I have to C-g when I say that message displayed, and
Gnus will ask me for the second password (the one that opens the file
.authinfo) with my password for connecting to the work email server!?

So, the trouble is that the GPG file is not decrypted, and Gnus still tries to
connect somehow -- I wonder with which credentials...

I remind you: this chunk of code caused no problem under Ubuntu: the 2
passwords were asked. Here, only the 1st one...

Any idea?

Best regards,
  Seb

--