Problems sending mail with ssl on port 465

From: Torben Knudsen
Subject: Problems sending mail with ssl on port 465
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 15:43:04 -0000

Problems sending mail with ssl on port 465

I am using gnus as a mail client.  A while ago I was behind a proxy at
my university and I was using tls on port 587 for sending mail via a
smtp server.

Now the policy has changed, we are not behind a proxy but our
computers are recognised by some number I think.  Then I am told to
use ssl on port 465.  I then changed 587 to 465 in the .gnus section
below and also changed the port in my .autinfo file which look similar
to the below.

>From my .gnus

;; Send mail using SMTP on the mail submission port 587.
(require 'starttls)
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.es.aau.dk" 587 nil nil))
      smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.es.aau.dk" 587
                                   "tk@es.aau.dk" nil))
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.es.aau.dk"
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.es.aau.dk"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587)

Content of my .autinfo file

machine imap.server login this_is_me@server password my_password port 993
machine smtp.server login this_is_me@server password my_password port 587

Using port 465 I can't send mail.  I tried a lot of things.

I tried to install a certificate for the smtp server.  Is that
necessary?  How should this be done correctly?

Until now I haven't got gnutls-cli so I get the message: "No STARTTLS
program was available (tried 'gnutls-cli')".  I then tried to install
gnutls-cli.  I didn't make the sending on port 465 work rather I had
to uninstall it to make sending on port 587 work again.  Should I use
gnutls-cli and how?

As I don't really understand all this help would be nice.

--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen     Mobile  : (+45) 2787 9826
Section of Automation and Control,      Direct  : 6 8694