Re: Solution for gnus wide sync

From: Paulo J. Matos
Subject: Re: Solution for gnus wide sync
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:27:56 +0100

Matt Lundin <mdl@imapmail.org> writes:

> pocmatos@gmail.com (Paulo J. Matos) writes:
>
>> I am currently using GNUS widely at home, on the laptop and at
>> work. However, annoyingly I don't have any sync setup between gnus
>> besides the config file through git and dropbox.
>>
>> What I would like is to sync
>> - the topic setup
>> - subscribed newsgroups
>> - newsgroup message status (read, expired, etc)
>>
>> Any tips on how to do this or workarounds to this?
>
> I place everything of importance in a single ~/gnus/ directory and then
> sync it across multiple machines using git.
>
>   (setq
>    gnus-startup-file "~/gnus/.newsrc"
>    gnus-directory "~/gnus/"
>    gnus-registry-cache-file "~/gnus/.gnus.registry.eld"
>    gnus-dribble-directory "~/gnus/"
>    mail-source-directory "~/gnus/incoming/"
>    gnus-cache-directory "~/gnus/cache/"
>    )

I would love to know more about your setup and interaction with git.
Have you written about it anywhere?

If not, could you please just let me know about:
- Do you have any script to push the changes into a server when you
logout?
- Any elisp to pull the changes from the server during startup?
- Do you have a git project called gnus that you use? I assume you also
use git to keep track of .emacs for example. Do you then have a
different git project just for the .emacs?

Cheers,

--
PMatos