Remembering read mail

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Remembering read mail
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 18:21:36 +0800

Hello,

I'm a new gnus user, and have got things sorted to the point where I can
check multiple accounts, send via multiple SMTP servers (msmtp), and
read this newsgroup via gnus (I won't know if I'm able to post until I
send this). I haven't switched away from Evolution (I'm on Ubuntu Lucid)
because of a bunch of little confusions/trepidations, but I'm getting
close.

One thing stopping me is the article summary list. I'm finding it very
confusing to look at, largely because the "read" status of messages is
not remembered between Gnus invocations. Every time I open the group all
the messages are unmarked. As I read them they turn bright blue-green
and get a "R" in the margin. Next time I open the group they're all
unmarked again.

This seems backwards to me: shouldn't unread messages be marked
specially, then unmarked as you read them? And then that status
remembered somehow?

Thanks!
Eric