editing .newsrc.eld file

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: editing .newsrc.eld file
Date: Sat, 29 May 2010 23:53:19 +0530

After renumbering my nnml articles (forgot the command in Gnus) in
some folders, all the marks are now knackered.  My mail.misc has
articles numbered 1-60 whiles the newsrc.eld file has something like
. 400 or so. which has resulted in not being able to see any mails at
all in the mail folder. And so on for other folders.

How do I fix this?  What should I edit in the .newsrc.eld file?  I
also have some adaptive scoring files too, if it is of any relevance.

 sivaram