Re: Follow-Ups and multiple groups?

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Follow-Ups and multiple groups?
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 23:27:15 +0200

> On Sat, 08 May 2010 22:11:28 +0200, Merciadri wrote:
>
>> Sorry Adam for being not precise.
>
> No worries :-)
:-)

>> I tested with linux.debian.user and comp.sys.hp48, together.
>
> Both on news.dotsrc.org, or?
>
>> It might be because they both exist to the news-gate, but would it be
>> that?
>
> I still don't quite understand what you mean by this. I would expect
> that they _both_ _had_ to exist on the news server you use for it to
> work.
They need to exist to be able to receive a message, clearly. But I
firstly thought that if the news-gate received a message to post to at
least two groups, it checked firstly if they existed, and then, if
they were to exist, it posted nothing. If only one were to exist, the
news-gate would then have posted the message to the only one which
exists.

Note that by `existing,' I mean `existing on the news-gate.' Many
well-known Usenet groups are unavailable to my news-gate. Dunno why.

> What is this "news-gate" you mention?
news.sunsite.dk. Sorry, I thought it was written in the headers.

>> The combination linux.debian.user + comp.sys.hp48 never works. That
>> is, each time I try to send an article to both groups, it is sent
>> nowhere. But I have only observed this behaviour with these two
>> groups.
>
> It is quite odd that you don't get an error back from the news server, I
> think.
Yes. And thus, as you say, the problem should not come from then. But
why, then, would posting individually to the two groups, work? I
tested it directly after, and it worked.

>> Not at all. The fact is that adding some `test' message to a
>> discussion is not really polluting, it even takes place in the
>> discussion. However, copying an answer of an already-launched
>> dicussion on another usenet group makes it appear as a new article,
>> which is clearly polluting. Don't you agree?
>
> Not really, no. I think testing should be done in dedicated test groups
> only, regardless of whether you test within a thread or create a new
> one.
I knew no other test group available on my news-gate than dk.test. :-(

>>> linux.debian.user sounds more like a mailinglist than a usenet group to
>>> me, but since you used made-up group names in the first article, it is
>>> hard to say.
>
>> Yes, but posting to the ML or posting to the usenet group sends the
>> message to the other, so that both are synchronized.
>
> I was about to guess that the software that does this news<->email
> gating perhaps discards crossposts, but I would have expected your
> missing article to have reached the other newsgroup at least, then.
Yes, but it was not the case, as you mentioned here, from my previous message.

> Given that you can see Gnus deliver the article to the server and the
> server doesn't give you an error back, I still think the problem isn't
> with Gnus and how you use it.
Ok. Thanks. But that remains an obscure reason for me, then.
- --
Merciadri Luca
- --

Getting something done is an accomplishment; getting something done
 right is an achievement.