Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server

From: Giacomo Boffi
Subject: Re: passing AUTHINFO {USER|PASS} to a foreign server
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:44:43 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 16:35:05 +0100 Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it>
> wrote:
>
> GB> Giacomo Boffi <giacomo.boffi@polimi.it> writes:
>>> i have a user id and a password to connect to a nntp server
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> following instructions in info file i created a ~/.authinfo file,
>>> following FAQ i put (add-hook 'nntp-server-opened-hook
>>> 'nntp-send-authinfo) in my ~/.gnus
>>>
>>> i create the foreign group, but i cannot access it
>
> GB> gnus changed his mind, and noe everything is fine, except that it asks
> GB> me the user name when connecting to my primary server, name that is
> GB> not necessary... anyhow, both server works and the inconvenience is
> GB> very minor
>
> Hmm, is the add-hook necessary?  I don't have it and NNTP auth works
> for me.

i commented the add-hook in my .gnus, restarted emacs and opened
gnus...

... and NNTP auth doesn't work any more

maybe you have to do authentication on your primary server, while it
is my secondary server the one who needs authentication, i don't know

thank you
                                                                gb
--
Hai capito benissimo quello che intendevi.            -- AirCraft, in ISC