Re: Delayed messages with "revealing" Date header?

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Delayed messages with "revealing" Date header?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:40:17 +0900

>   When I delay a message with C-c C-j, the message gets a
> Date header with the current time (visible in the delayed
> group) that is not filtered when the message is sent. This
> results in a message sent at time Y that is clearly labelled
> as having been written at time X - though in most cases I
> would assume the intention would be to pretend it having
> been written at time Y. Is this an issue with my setup
> (Gnus 5.13) or is my use case so uncommon? :-)

The present behavior seems faithful to RFC2822:

,----
| 3.6.1. The origination date field 3.6.1.
| [...]
| The origination date specifies the date and time at which the
| creator of the message indicated that the message was complete
| and ready to enter the mail delivery system. For instance, this
| might be the time that a user pushes the "send" or "submit"
| button in an application program. In any case, it is
| specifically not intended to convey the time that the message is
| actually transported, but rather the time at which the human or
| other creator of the message has put the message into its final
| form, ready for transport. (For example, a portable computer
| user who is not connected to a network might queue a message for
| delivery. The origination date is intended to contain the date
| and time that the user queued the message, not the time when the
| user connected to the network to send the message.)
`----

You can easily override it though. ;-p

(defadvice gnus-draft-send (around remove-date-header-from-delayed-message
                                   activate)
  "Remove Date header from delayed message in order to be redone."
  (if (equal (ad-get-arg 1) "nndraft:delayed")
      (let ((gnus-message-setup-hook
             (cons (lambda nil
                     (save-restriction
                       (message-narrow-to-headers)
                       (if (re-search-forward "^Date:.*\n" nil t)
                           (replace-match ""))))
                   gnus-message-setup-hook)))
        ad-do-it)
    ad-do-it))