Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?

From: Kendall Shaw
Subject: Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:10:50 -0800

> On Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:50:47 -0800, Frank wrote:
>
>> Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:
>
>>> Oh, I see.  I don't think IMAP is involved.  Can you test without any
>>> IMAP servers, rules, or settings?  I haven't experienced this issue
>>> myself.  It does seem like Gnus is picking up your incoming mail, but
>>> not because of any nnimap-related things.
>
>> I don't know what I would be testing without imap. Gnus does appear to
>> move messages from my mbox file using nnml, as if I were not using
>> imap. If it continued to do that without imap, what would that tell
>> me?
>
> How have you configured the variables gnus-select-method,
> gnus-secondary-select-methods and mail-sources?

Thank you.

(setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.evilmegacorp.com"))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
          '((nnml "mail")
        (nnimap "asdf"
                                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                                (nnimap-stream network))))

and mail-sources is nil

I had a thought that it might be defaulting to reading /var/mail/user. So, as a
test, I set:

(setq nnmail-spool-file '("/var/mail/empty"))

where /var/mail/empty is an empty file, with appropriate permissions
and ownership. But it still empties my imap inbox. The email seems to
go into ~/Mail/Incomingxyz.

Before that, I had:

(setq nnmail-spool-file nil)
(setq nnmail-get-new-mail nil)

and got the inbox emptied, but mail is copied to nnml inbox.