Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?

From: Frank Fredstone
Subject: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:56:52 -0800

Hi,

I use dovecot imapd with both an mbox for INBOX and maildir for other
folders, and I use sieve to split email into maildir folders.

In .gnus.el I have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
          '((nnml "mail")
                (nnimap "asdf"
                                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                                (nnimap-stream network))))

and I have left over from before I was using imap:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("junk" "Subject:.*urgent")
        ("inbox" "")))

It used to be that messages in my imap inbox were stored in nnimap+asdf:INBOX.

Now, the first time I ran gnus from emacs 23, it moved all messages
from nnimap+asdf:INBOX to nnml+mail:inbox, or in other words it
emptied /var/spool/user, and stored them in nnml+mail:inbox, so my
imap inbox is not empty.

I don't remember if I had a reason to keep the nnml secondary select
method. Should I just remove it and remove the nnmail split methods,
to get it to ignore /var/spool/user and read nnimap+asdf:INBOX
instead?

Also, if I make a copy of my ~/Mail directory that email creates, can
I restore my email from it if I screw something up, i.e. can I use
gnus to read the email from the copied directory and put it back into
my imap store?