Re: setting gnus-use-full-windows to nil

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: setting gnus-use-full-windows to nil
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 13:37:18 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 24, 11:13 am, Leonidas Tsampros <ltsamp...@bifteki.lan> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> One of the things I found irritating while using Gnus, is that it
> deleted any other windows that I had opened upon entering/leaving the
> summary buffer.

Same for me.

> In the info manual chapter 8.5, it states that this behaviour is
> controlled by gnus-use-full-window and indeed it worked as
> advertized. However the documentation states:
>
>    Setting this variable to `nil' kinda works, but there are glitches.
> Use at your own peril.
>
> Has anyone experienced problems with this variable set to nil ?

Yes I have met a couple of problems:

  - when composing a new article/email, gnus-use-full-window is just
ignored

  - in the summary buffer, after selecting an article, with the
following in my .gnus:

(setq gnus-use-trees t
      gnus-generate-tree-function 'gnus-generate-horizontal-tree
      gnus-tree-minimize-window nil)

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(article
   (vertical 1.0
             (horizontal 0.25
                         (summary 0.75 point)
                         (tree 1.0))
             (article 1.0))))

    if I press 'q' (gnus-summary-exit) then the window layout is
screwed.