Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: gnus-dired does not use gnus anymore bug or feature
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 10:06:07 +0100

Hello,

   > Hi,
   > I am the very man who changed gnus-dired.el.

Good to know and thanks for the fast reply.

   > No problem here.  `gnus-dired-attach' gets `gnus-msg-mail' started
   > because:

   > (get gnus-dired-mail-mode 'composefunc)
   >  => gnus-msg-mail

   > In my case, the value of `gnus-dired-mail-mode' is `gnus-user-agent'
   > that is the default.

So it is for me
   >> Now I looked at gnus-dired.el and there is the following change

   >> (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
   >> (gnus-setup-message 'message (message-mail))
   >> ;; FIXME: Is this the right thing?
   >> (compose-mail))

   > It calls the `gnus-setup-message' macro directly, whereas

That works!
   >> is changed to
   >> (let ((mail-user-agent gnus-dired-mail-mode)
   >> ;; A workaround to prevent Gnus from displaying the Gnus
   >> ;; logo when invoking this command without loading Gnus.
   >> ;; Gnus demonstrates it when gnus.elc is being loaded if
   >> ;; a command of which the name is prefixed with "gnus"
   >> ;; causes that autoloading.  See the code in question,
   >> ;; that is the one first found in gnus.el by performing
   >> ;; `C-s this-command'.
   >> (this-command (if (eq gnus-dired-mail-mode 'gnus-user-agent)
   >> 'gnoose-dired-attach
   >> this-command)))
   >> (compose-mail))

   > it always calls `compose-mail' which invokes a certain mail
   > command according to the value of `mail-user-agent'.  Note that
   > `mail-user-agent' is bound to the value of `gnus-dired-mail-mode'
   > of which the defalut value is `gnus-user-agent' in that case.
   > By default `gnus-user-agent' is configured so that `gnus-msg-mail',
   > the mail command of Gnus, may be called.  I improved Gnus's mail
   > command so as to work as a `mail-user-agent' (i.e., a servant of
   > `compose-mail'), and then changed that code.

Right that all sounds fine to me but it simply does not work any more
for me. I tried to debug it but can't trace the error.

I am completely confused:
mail-user-agent is set for me
--8<------------------------schnipp------------------------->8---
mail-user-agent' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "/build/buildd/xemacs21-21.4.21/lisp/simple.elc"

Value: message-user-agent
--8<------------------------schnapp------------------------->8---

   >> And that does not work as expected. So I can undo that change but I
   >> would like to hear opinions about this recent change.

   > I doubt you've changed the mail command of `gnus-user-agent' so
   > that it calls VM's mail command.  In your init file don't you
   > have something like this?

   > (put 'gnus-user-agent 'composefunc 'vm-something-something)

I don't!!!

 gnus-user-agent gives me

`gnus-user-agent' is a variable declared in Lisp.
  -- loaded from "gnus"

Value: (emacs gnus type)

Any ideas how to trace the problem?

Uwe