Re: Gnus and pgp

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Gnus and pgp
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 19:54:02 +0100

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:08:11 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> RR> I wasn't aware you could do that! Works reliably now indicating an issue
> RR> with emacs talking to the agent.
>
> Since EPA is part of Emacs proper, you should file a bug.  I know it's
> not easy to repeat the bug but it certainly seems annoying.
>
> On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 20:20:44 +0100 Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> RR> Works fine now with your suggestion. But now I am confused as to how to
> RR> correctly set this up. Do I still need to to set (nntp-authinfo-file
> RR> "~/.authinfo.gpg") for each secondary select method call? And if so,
> RR> where doe the epa set up come in? If you could explain how it fits
> RR> together that would be great.
>
> I set the authinfo file globally, with just auth-sources.  I don't set
> it per select method.  You can, but the effect will be different and I
> don't know for sure it will work correctly.
>
> When you load EPG/EPA (I forget the exact package demarkation) a handler
> is set up for .gpg files *by default* (you can change that).  When you
> open or save such a file, it's automatically decoded or encoded by the
> EPG/EPA handlers.  All of this is outside Gnus.  So specifying a .gpg
> file for auth-sources is no different than a regular file.
>
> Ted

btw, just looked again

(setq    gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
                                   (nnimap-stream tls)
                                   (nnimap-address "myserver.net")
                                   (nnimap-expunge-on-close always)
                                   (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo.gpg")
                                   (nnimap-nov-is-evil nil)
                                   (nnir-search-engine imap)))

if I remove the nnimap-authinfo line it most definitely does not default
to auth-sources. it prompts me for a user and a password. my authsources
set up is

(require 'auth-source)
(require 'epa-file)
(setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ;;VERY Important
(if (file-exists-p "~/.authinfo.gpg")
    (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
    (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo" :host t :protocol t))))

emacs 23 (with accompanying gnus).