Re: notmuch?

From: David Engster
Subject: Re: notmuch?
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 14:14:30 +0100

Adam Sjøgren <asjo@koldfront.dk> schreibt:
> Has anyone here played with notmuch¹ in combination with Gnus? I see it
> has an Emacs-interface, but I haven't tried it yet.
>
> (It is still indexing my 140k emails :-))

I've played around with it, and while I really like the concept, I'll
stick with mairix for the time being. Since I've written nnmairix, this
is probably not a big surprise, though. ;-)

Basically, at the moment it seems a bit too slow for me. I have about
40k mails on an Intel Dualcore:

notmuch search "from:deng@randomsample.de"
0.74s user 0.41s system 7% cpu 14.650 total

Granted, subsequent (but identical!) searches are much faster:

notmuch search "from:deng@randomsample.de"
0.41s user 0.11s system 99% cpu 0.521 total

But still, with mairix I get

mairix -t -r "f:deng@randomsample.de"
0.01s user 0.01s system 12% cpu 0.123 total

I know that notmuch supports tagging and Xapian supports much more
sophisticated searches than mairix, but I do not currently need that.

(If I have missed something in the configuration which would make
searching much faster, I'd love to hear about it.)

-David