Re: Password sending mail only once

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Password sending mail only once
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 09:54:41 +0200

Torben Knudsen <tk@es.aau.dk> writes:

> Some time ago I was asked for a password when sending mail only the
> first time in a gnus session.  Now I am asked every time I send a
> mail.
>
> How can I get back to only given the password once?
>
> I prefer solutions with out storing password anywhere.  Given it once
> is what I prefer.
>
> I have found some info on the net but nothing I could handle with my
> limited skills.

With emacs 23 I have the following set up:

,----
| ;; encryption stuff
| (require 'auth-source)
| (require 'epa-file)
| (setq epa-file-cache-passphrase-for-symmetric-encryption t) ;;VERY Important
| (if (file-exists-p "~/.authinfo.gpg")
|     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo.gpg" :host t :protocol t)))
|     (setq auth-sources '((:source "~/.authinfo" :host t :protocol t))))
| ;; no idea whats needed with mm2015 : the documentation is sparse
| (setq
|       mml2015-encrypt-to-self t
|       mml2015-cache-passphrase t
|       mml2015-passphrase-cache-expiry 60
|       mml2015-verbose t)
`----

And in my gnus-posting-style something like

,----
| (setq gnus-posting-styles `((".*"
|                           (name "Richard Riley")
|                           (from "Richard Riley <riley-r-g@gmail.com>")
|                           (eval(setq gnushush-user-agent-header (quote real)))
|                           (signature-file "~/.emacs.d/.sigs/rgr.sig")
|                           (eval (setq mml2015-signers '("b39d104a")))
|                           (organization "aich tea tea pea dicky riley dot
net"))))
`----

It's been a while since I went through to remove the wheat from the
chaff but the mml2025 (what!?) set are key for signing I think.

For caching the password my setup uses gpg-agent. The only messy thing I
found was the need to export the required environment variables in order
that things like emacs knew which cache process to talk to. For that I
used

,----
| keychain && . $HOME/.keychain/$HOSTNAME-sh-gpg > /dev/null 2>&1
`----

keychain takes care of using an existing agent or starting one if
necessary in .bash_env on my system. It might be unnecessary on a cleaner set
up. It caused quite a lot of frustration back when I got this
working. Hopefully enough to get you going,

regards

r.