Re: Trying to customize my gnus

From: Desmond Rivet
Subject: Re: Trying to customize my gnus
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 10:00:06 -0400

andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0@gmail.com> writes:

> - download faster:
>   When I enter a big newsgroup it takes a very long time.
>   Isn't it possible to download somewhere all the headers of the threads
>   (not all posts) so that every time it only downloads the new ones??

I'm using leafnode:

http://leafnode.sourceforge.net

Seems to work okay.  In general, though, Gnus is pretty slow when the
newsgroups have alot of messges.  I think scoring is supposed to help
with this but I haven't set that up yet.

Also, check your "gnus-fetch-old-headers" variable.  I have mine set to
nil:

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers nil)

It helps a bit.

> - My posts:
>   It would be really nice to have a *summary* like buffer where I see
>   *ALL* my posts, taken from every possible newsgroup where I posted.
>   In this way I always have visible what's the "progress" of my
>   answers..

You mean like a "Sent" folder?  I have this in my .gnus.el:

(setq gnus-message-archive-group
      '((if (message-news-p)
            "Sent-News"
          "Sent")))