Problems with maildir

From: Wolfgang Pausch
Subject: Problems with maildir
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2009 18:46:32 +0200

Hello,

I am a gnus newbie and want to set up gnus for reading mail using maildir as
mail source and as mail backend.  My configuration so far is:

(setq mail-sources
      '((maildir :path "~/spool/inbox_wolgmx" :subdirs ("cur" "new"))))

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnmaildir "" (directory "~/Mail/"))))

So, I want to fetch mail from a POP3 account using getmail to the spool
directory, and then I want gnus to fetch that mail and store it in a maildir
directory called Mail.

According to the manual, I should find a group named mail.misc if I start gnus
after setting it up this way.  Unfortunately, I don't.  To be precesily, in one
of my first tries, I actually found it, but gnus complained about being unable
to activate it.

Then I deleted anything related to gnus and newsgroups (newsrc*, some cache
file) and switched to nnml as secondary select method - it worked!  I again
deleted anything, tried switching back to nnmaildir.  Now, after some more
trial and error, I have the situation that mail.misc doesn't show up at all.
And, in the inbox_wolgmx-directory, there actually is mail, I copied it from a
backup.

The background for using maildir is that I don't want to store my mail in some
incompatible format, especially as I am a gnus newbie.  And as far as I know,
there are much more mail clients that understand maildir, correct?

Ok, does anyone have a hint for me?  What is my mistake?  And deleting which
files is sufficient for starting again from zero?  Maybe I missed some obscure
cache file when trying to reset gnus after the nnml try?

Thanks,

Wolfgang

PS: I already sent this message yesterday, before I subscribed to the list.  As
it didn't show up in the archive yet, I suspect some spamfilter stopping it, so
I tried again.