Incoming Mail always marked as read - 'O'

From: Glyn Millington
Subject: Incoming Mail always marked as read - 'O'
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 21:53:24 +0100

Since upgrading Emacs 23.1 and Gnus v5.13, I've had the problem that
incoming mail is always marked as read - when it hasn't been read at all.

This is not 100% - it always happens the first time I open Gnus; but if I
leave Gnus running and later hit 'g' to get new mail then it will show up
as unread.

I'm not sure where to start fixing this; can anyone give me a clue?

with thanks for your time

Glyn