Cannot connect to Exchange Server

From: Jens Schmidt
Subject: Cannot connect to Exchange Server
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:25:29 -0700 (PDT)

Hi.

During my vacation my company changed something in the Exchange Server
set-up. When I access the old server using Gnus (or telnet) I get
a referral like that

  REFERRAL imap://<user>;AUTH=*@<new server>/

which Gnus cannot handle (it seems to be bogus, anyway).

When I check my Outlook settings, I can see that the IMAP server
automagically changed to <new server> as well.

But when I try to connect to <new server> using Gnus (or "telnet <new
server> imap") I get a "Connection failed" or "No route to host", even
though ping and Outlook *can* connect to the server. I also tried the
standard IMAP and IMAP/SSL ports as well, to no avail.

The IT guys are of no help either ("We support only Outlook.").

What can Outlook do special to connect to that new Exchange Server?

Thanks and regards

Jens