Re: ``Quips'' in signatures

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: ``Quips'' in signatures
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:44:55 +0200

Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> writes:

> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> writes:
>
>> I have seen that many of the users of this Usenet group always use
>> citations at the end of their mail (esp. in their signature).
>>
>> How can I manage to do this *simply*?
>
> How simple is simple?  Being isolated from the Gnuish mainstream, I
> routinely reinvent the wheel when such desires arise.  Here is my
> routine for signing off with a quotation picked from a list:
>
> (defun psig ()
>   "Insert the signature for a personal posting on a newsgroup, including a
> saying."
>   (interactive)
>   (goto-char (point-max))
>   (or (= (char-after (- (point) 1)) ?\n)
>       (newline 1))
>   (insert "-- \n---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net\n")
>   (let ((saying ""))
>     (save-window-excursion
>       (find-file "~/p/networks/verizon/gnus/Sayings")
>       (goto-char (point-min))
>       (search-forward "#")
>       (delete-char -1)
>       (setq fill-prefix nil)
>       (mark-paragraph)
>       (setq saying (buffer-substring (region-beginning) (region-end)))
>       (exchange-point-and-mark)
>       (if (eobp) (goto-char (1+ (point-min))))
>       (insert "#")
>       (save-buffer))
>     (insert saying)
>     ))
>
> The file "Sayings" consists of 1- or 2-line paragraphs separated by
> newlines, with a # before the next one to use.  It must begin with a
> newline.
>
> The output, appositely, looks like this:

Why would you do all this when gnus has signatures built in which use
things like regexps for signature matching?

And how would Merciadri invoke it?

Looks hellishly complicated to me :-)

Far easier to use a file based signature(s) and have gnus include
them. Then, if using Linux, one could use cron (for example) to
regenerate .signatures of your choice every predetermined period.