Re: Unable to fetch article bodies from specific group

From: Ben Finney
Subject: Re: Unable to fetch article bodies from specific group
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 16:59:43 +1000

Ben Finney <ben+gnus@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> When I use Gnus with ‘news.internode.on.net’ to read
> ‘comp.lang.python’, I can fetch the summary (which I presume fetches
> the header of each article), but attempting to fetch *any* article
> body, old or new, gives the message “No such article (may have expired
> or been canceled)” from Gnus.
>
> When I use ‘telnet news.internode.on.net nntp’ and speak the NNTP
> protocol, I *can* fetch any article body from that group with the
> ‘BODY’ command.
>
> What could be causing this? How can I diagnose it further, or fix it?

In a brute-force search to try to eliminate the cause of this, I've
found that the above behaviour is unaffected by any of the following
actions:

  * removing ‘~/.newsrc’ and ‘~/.newsrc.eld’
  * removing ‘~/.gnus’
  * removing ‘~/.emacs’ and ‘~/.emacs.d/’

The next action *did* affect the behaviour:

  * removing ‘~/News/’

Now when I read the ‘comp.lang.python’ group I can get any article body.

I'll continue to hunt for which specific file within that directory is
causing the problem, but I would appreciate some guidance as to what
might be the cause.

--
 \           “The cost of education is trivial compared to the cost of |
  `\                                     ignorance.” —Thomas Jefferson |