Re: Reading mails: Procmail, Fetchmail, and what?

From: Adam Sjøgren
Subject: Re: Reading mails: Procmail, Fetchmail, and what?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:00:50 +0200

On Tue, 04 Aug 2009 13:33:18 +0200, Merciadri wrote:

> I have Procmail and Fetchmail both installed on my computer. I have
> configured an .authinfo file, to be able to read my mails using
> news.sunsite.dk. However, it does not work.

You have misunderstood something fundamental. You can't read email via
news.sunsite.dk - news.sunsite.dk is a news server, from which you can
read usenet newsgroups, not email.

> 1. Do I need to use Procmail or Fetchmail to fetch my mails, using
> news.sunsite.dk?

You can use fetchmail to transfer emails from an mail server to your
local machine, and procmail to process (for instance filter) it there.
Gnus can then read it from your mail spool (or maildir, if you prefer
that).

You can also bypass fetchmail and procmail entirely and have Gnus fetch
email from a POP og IMAP server directly (arguably easier.)

> 2. Is it really possible to use news.sunsite.dk to fetch my mails? If
> so, how?

No.

  Best regards,

    Adam

--
 "Money always takes the place of life"                       Adam Sjøgren
                                                         asjo@koldfront.dk