Re: Using ``^'' in Gnus

From: Merciadri Luca
Subject: Re: Using ``^'' in Gnus
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 08:03:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 2, 3:40 pm, Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5...@penny.tippete.net>
wrote:

>     Merciadri> Pierfrancesco Caci <ik5...@penny.tippete.net> writes:
>     >> did you try to configure a compose key instead of using the
>     >> dead accents ? I find it much easier to use. --> àéïôūç it's an
>     >> X setting anyway, nothing to do with emacs afaik.
>     >>
>     >> -- Pierfrancesco Caci
>
>     Merciadri> How can I do this?
>
> this is getting off-topic, but then:
>
> from the gnome menu: system->preferences->keyboard, select the layout
> tab, click on layout option, choose a compose key position of your
> taste (i usually keep it on the 'menu' key). You then get accented
> letters by using 'compose accent letter' i.e. to get á you tap the
> newly defined compose key, then tap the ' then tap the a.
>
> If you're not using gnome, it can be done with xkeycaps or even by
> fiddling with xorg.conf directly, but's been a long time and I don't
> really remember how right now.
>
> This works best if you are using a plain US-english keyboard and
> layout, of course, otherwise you miss the standalone accents needed
> for the trick.
>
> A full list of compose combinations is somewhere under /usr/share/keymaps
>
> Pf
>
> --
> Pierfrancesco Caci

Thanks for this answer. Anyway, using System > Preferences > Keyboard,
Layouts on both computers, doing what you want me to do, does not make
it work better.
Here is a description of the problems on both PC's:

laptop -> all accents always work, except in Emacs (and thus in Gnus).
For example, typing ``^'' then ``e'' in gedit makes the good thing;
station -> the only accent which does not work is the ^. Whatever the
program, the ``^'' is never put on the ``e.''

Thanks for your patience.