using gmail contacts with Gnus

From: Dan Christensen
Subject: using gmail contacts with Gnus
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:31:59 -0400

Can Gnus use gmail contacts to expand aliases in outgoing messages?
If it can't do this directly, is anyone aware of tools to generate a
.mailrc from my gmail contacts?

As a more general question, I'm trying to figure out the best way to
manage my contacts.  I've just purchased an android phone which can sync
with gmail contacts, so that seems to be a natural starting point,
although I don't use gmail much so I'm open to other possibilities.

My main goal is to have synchronized contact lists in Gnus (on a linux
machine) and on my android phone.

Dan