Registry marks?

From: Ross A. Laird
Subject: Registry marks?
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:31:06 -0700

I'm having trouble finding out how to use the registry marks. They seem
like an excellent feature, but I am not a programmer, so the few
posts on this list which refer to the registry marks are a little beyond
my skill. Here's what I have so far in my .gnus:

(require 'gnus-registry)
(gnus-registry-initialize)
(setq gnus-registry-marks
      '((Important
     :char ?i
     :image "summary_important")
    (Work
     :char ?w
     :image "summary_work")
    (Personal
     :char ?p
     :image "summary_personal")
    (To-Do
     :char ?t
     :image "summary_todo")
    (Later
     :char ?l
     :image "summary_later")))

>From what I've read, it seems the above is a good start (is it?).
The next bit, it seems, is to get the marks to show up in the summary
buffer, which, from what I've read, involves various steps including this:

,----
| gnus-summary-line-format is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is
| "%U%R %10&user-date; $%6uS [%6uM] %6k  %B %(%4L: %*%-25,25a%) %s \n"
`----

... which is beyond me.

Can someone offer a (simple) way forward here?

Thanks.

Ross

--
Ross A. Laird, PhD