Re: rss feed stuck - keeps downloading same articles

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: rss feed stuck - keeps downloading same articles
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:28:40 -0500

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 18:00:09 +0100 Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> wrote:

PM> "Robert D. Crawford" <rdc1x@comcast.net> writes:
>> I don't remember the original post exactly, but judging from the subject
>> I would say the following variable is what you want.  It is documented
>> under the rss section of the gnus info manual.
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v nnrss-ignore-article-fields RET ]
>> | nnrss-ignore-article-fields is a variable defined in `nnrss.el'.
>> | Its value is (slash:comments)
>> |

>> | Documentation:
>> | *List of fields that should be ignored when comparing RSS articles.
>> | Some RSS feeds update article fields during their lives, e.g. to
>> | indicate the number of comments or the number of times the
>> | articles have been seen.  However, if there is a difference
>> | between the local article and the distant one, the latter is
>> | considered to be new.  To avoid this and discard some fields, set
>> | this variable to the list of fields to be ignored.
>> |
>> | This is a Gnus server variable.  See Info node `(gnus)Select Methods'.
>> |
>> | [back]
>> `----
>>
>> You might want to search for more information on this variable.  It has
>> been discussed before, here I believe.
>>
>> rdc
PM> Thanks, I'll search the archives for that variable and read the previous
PM> discussion.

Paul,

I added a debug statement in nnrss.el:

  (gnus-message 9 "nnrss: Making hash index of %s" (gnus-prin1-to-string item))

a few months ago, which will help you.  Crank up gnus-verbose to 9 and
look in the *Messages* buffer to see the full RSS entry that's
retrieved, so you can examine the fields and determine which ones are
causing your problems.

Don't forget to turn gnus-verbose back down when you're done :)

Ted