Re: news server name change

From: Joe Fineman
Subject: Re: news server name change
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 17:25:09 -0400

Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> writes:

> Karl Kleinpaste <invalid@kleinpaste.org> wrote:
>
>>> Where else should I be correcting the entries and preserve my
>>> subscriptions and stuff?
>
>> Look in .newsrc.eld and .gnus for references to the old name.
>
> And be careful if the name change came with a renumbering of
> the server's article database.

So I was warned by Motzarella; but I did not understand the advice
about *how* careful.  It seemed I would have to resubscribe to all my
groups, and that was a long agony the first time.  So I just changed
the two references to the old name in my files.  The result was that
when I first logged in I found all the groups were empty; but I could
live with that.  Now everything is fine.
--
---  Joe Fineman    joe_f@verizon.net

||:  All men would be cowards if they durst.  :||