Re: Cannot start w3m-el from within a document, except newsfeeds

From: Hermann
Subject: Re: Cannot start w3m-el from within a document, except newsfeeds
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:53:38 +0100

On 12.02.2009 at 23:40:25 Katsumi Yamaoka <yamaoka@jpl.org> wrote:

>> the subject almost says it:
>> When I open a link from within a news feed, w3m-el starts as expected.
>> However: When I try to open a link from any other document (post/email),
>> I get the message:
>> Mozilla starting...
>> and of course nothing happens; I use Gnus from a text console.
>> My .gnus reads the following, regarding w3m-el:
[...]
>> So what do I have to insert in .gnus or in .emacs?
> First of all, don't you mix up w3m (emacs-w3m, or the so-called
> w3m-el in some Linux distribution) with w3 (Emacs/W3) ?
> Try: M-x locate-library RET w3m RET
> and: M-x locate-library RET w3 RET

In fact you are right; I use emacs-w3m, which indeed is called w3m-el on
my distro (GRML).
So I commented out the entries refering to w3 in my .gnus.

> If you wish to use emacs-w3m along with Gnus, see:
> (info "(emacs-w3m)Gnus") <- type `C-x C-e' here

I inserted only one line in my .gnus:

(setq mm-text-html-renderer 'w3m)

which should be sufficient, (at least for basic needs) if I've understood the
manuual.
But I don't see a different result: Links in news feeds were shown, in
all other cases I get that "Mozilla" message.

> If you don't have the emacs-w3m Info manual, visit:
> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/info/emacs-w3m_60.html
> (But it is for the officially released version of emacs-w3m that
>  is somewhat old.  You can obtain the latest one, including Info,
>  from: http://cvs.namazu.org/emacs-w3m.tar.gz )

My version is 1.4.4-8
Is this an old one?
Aptitude offers as an alternative w3m-el-snapshot; is this a rather new
one?
Hermann