Re: emacsclient and gnus

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacsclient and gnus
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 13:19:07 +0100

> Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> By entering into the gnus session, I've basically taken over that gnus
>>> session, so if I then tell gnus to stop the session (C-x C-s from
>>> emacsclient) it seems that would apply to any session I've ta
> C-x C-c runs the command save-buffers-kill-terminal, which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.ken over.
>>>
>>> But with the command you mentioned `C-x 5 0' I've relinquished control
>>> of gnus so then C-x C-s only closes my emacsclient terminal.
>>
>> Are you saying C-x C-c does not work for you?
>>
>> (C-x C-c runs the command save-buffers-kill-terminal)
>>
>> C-x C-s is simply "save-buffer" in most cases.
>
> Initially I asked how to leave a gnus session when I've entered it in
> a running emacs server running gnus.
>
> You offered:
>
>> C-x C-c runs the command save-buffers-kill-terminal, which is an
>> interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.
>
> I'm saying if I start emacs and then gnus... and then say
> M-x server-start <ret>
>
> Then if I ssh in from a remote... and type emacsclient -c
>
> Then switch into the gnus buffers... If I then say C-x C-s it will
> offer to close gnus.  Not what I want... I want to close the
> emacsclient terminal without closing gnus.

I am really confused Harry to be honest. I keep listing the command name
along with the keyboard binding (always a good idea IMO) but you keep
going back to C-x C-s - whereas I am saying C-x C-c (C-x C-c runs the
command save-buffers-kill-terminal) does what you want in my setup which
is also emacsclient.

> If I say C-x 5-0 then that is what happens.

Yes, delete-frame.

But you have a solution so thats the main thing.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation