Re: Face and X-Face display in terminal emacs frames

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Face and X-Face display in terminal emacs frames
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 22:19:24 +0100

Hi Reiner,

>> That works, but how?  I've customized it to be 'head and got that
>> annoying behavior.  Without customization it's 'head anyway,
>> although,
>
> I guess you checked this when using Emacs with X11, not on a tty.

Yes, but my emacs is started as system service with the --daemon option
on a tty.  But when starting gnus I'm usually in an X11 frame and thus
head is the treatment variables' value.

>> but now the images are only displayed in X11 frames.  What's the
>> black magic involved here?
>
> The default of `gnus-treat-display-x-face' is nil on tty.  (I don't
> write "X11 frames" or "tty frames" because I doubt that Gnus does The
> Right Thing with frames on tty/X11 in a single multi-tty Emacs
> session.)

Believe it or not, it does.  Currently the treatment variables are set
to head and when I select an article in a terminal emulator no (X-)Face
is shown and no `display' window appears, but when I do the same in an
X11 frame (of the same emacs instance) the images are shown inside
emacs.

The only thing I can think of is that I started gnus in a terminal frame
when I got the `display' windows with the treatment variables set to
head explicitly...

> ,----
> | (defcustom gnus-treat-display-x-face
> |   (and (not noninteractive)
>
> Avoids X-Faces in batch mode.
>
> |        (gnus-image-type-available-p 'xbm)
>
> Should be nil when running on a tty.
>
> |        (if (featurep 'xemacs)
> |        (featurep 'xface)
>
> XEmacs may have builtin X-Face support.
>
> |      (and (string-match "^0x" (shell-command-to-string "uncompface"))
> |           (executable-find "icontopbm")))
>
> For Emacs, check if the external programs are available and working.
>
> |        'head)
> `----

Yeah, I've seen that and couldn't think of why gnus just DTRT when using
to customizations. ;-)

Bye,
Tassilo