Re: Can I grab mopre than one address for BBDB?

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Re: Can I grab mopre than one address for BBDB?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 23:05:20 +0530

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> Martin Fischer <nospam@nospam.net> writes:
>
>> Andreas Davour writes:
>>
>>> Hi guys.
>>>
>>> I've been using BBDB for storing e-mail addresses from people for a
>>> while now. I've tried to find some info in the BBDB docs how to use it
>>> with gnus, but found little.
>>>
>>> If I get an e-mail From: FOO and CC: BAR is there a way to add BAR to my
>>> BBDB address book? Using : only adds FOO.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>
>> M-x bbdb/gnus-show-all-recipients RET  ?
>
> That did the trick! Thanks Martin! Hmm. Are there any reasons not to have
> that command run every time I open an e-mail? Records already in my
> address book wont get affected, right?

[snipped 21 lines]

Well, I can't seem to get what you are missing apart from the feature
you asked but let me try explaining how I use BBDB; if that is of any
help to you.

When reading mail in the summary buffer hitting ';' prompts me to add
the name if it does not already exists.

C-c b asks me for a regex to search the BBDB and it shows the matches
in another buffer.  If that buffer is made the focus, hitting C-h m
will show all the keys you can use to edit/add names, aliases and
such.

I seem to have the following customisations all over the place
;;in .emacs
 '(bbdb-get-addresses-headers (quote ((authors "From" "Resent-From" "Reply-To")
(recipients "Resent-To" "Resent-CC" "To" "Cc" "CC" "BCC"))))
 '(bbdb-get-only-first-address-p nil)
 '(bbdb-info-file "c:/gnu/elisp/bbdb-2.35/texinfo/bbdb.info")

;;;;BBDB in .gnus.el
;======================================================================
; BBDB
;======================================================================
(require 'bbdb)
(require 'bbdb-com)
(require 'bbdb-gnus)
(require 'bbdb-hooks)
(require 'gnus-bbdb)
;; ;;need for TAB expansion in headers for addresses
(require 'message-x);; search for message-x.el on the web
;; (setq message-x-body-function
;;       '(lambda () (interactive)(hippie-expand nil)))

(bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
(add-hook 'gnus-startup-hook 'bbdb-insinuate-gnus)
(bbdb-insinuate-message)
(setq bbdb-send-mail-style 'message)
(add-hook 'message-setup-hook 'bbdb-define-all-aliases)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c b") 'bbdb)
(autoload 'bbdb/gnus-lines-and-from "bbdb-gnus")
(setq gnus-optional-headers 'bbdb/gnus-lines-and-from)
(gnus-bbdb-insinuate-summary-buffer)
(setq bbdb-completion-display-record nil)
(setq bbdb-north-american-phone-numbers-p nil)
(setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
(setq bbdb-define-all-aliases-mode 'all)
(setq bbdb-default-country nil)

Have you had a chance to look at the info file?

 sivaram