Re: More than one IMAP mailbox on the same server

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: More than one IMAP mailbox on the same server
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 13:36:57 +0100

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> *On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 13:34:59 -0400
> * Also sprach victor@algebraic.org (Victor S. Miller):
>
>> I have two different IMAP mailboxes on the same server.  How do I set
>> up my .gnus and .authinfo to handle them.  From reading the
>> documentation it appears that gnus seems keyed on the server alone and
>> not the server/mailbox pair.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>>
>> Victor
>
> You can use labels.
>
> in .gnus
>
> ,----
> | ;;         (nnimap "account1"
> | ;;                      (nnimap-server-port 143)
> | ;;                      (nnimap-address "imapserver")
> | ;;                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo"))
> `----
> ,----
> | ;;         (nnimap "account2"
> | ;;                      (nnimap-server-port 143)
> | ;;                      (nnimap-address "imapserver")
> | ;;                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo"))
> `----
>
> then in .authinfo:
>
> ,----
> | machine account1 login YOURLOGIN password YOURPASS
> | machine account2 login YOURLOGIN password YOURPASS
> `----

In my setup the .authinfo format is:

machine SERVERNAME login LOGINID password PASSWORD

with the "force yes" option on some lines.

The different "mailboxes" are subscribed to in Gnus by querying all groups from
the one server, SERVERNAME, and then subscribing in the usual fashion
used for nntp.

This is from the more traditional concept of a "mailbox" being something
like "INBOX" or "WorkMail" set up on the Imap server possibly as
maildirs or something.

Does mailbox mean something else here? Reading the gnus documentation I
can not see a reference to label being substituted for servername
(machine name in your example above).

e.g my imap setting:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mymail"
                      (nnimap-stream ssl)
                      (nnimap-address "myimap.net")
                      (nnimap-authinfo-file "~/.authinfo")
                      (nnir-search-engine imap)
                      )
)

and the corresponding .authinfo entry

machine myimap.net login MYID password MYPASS

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation