Re: Trouble connecting with IMAP (Windows Emacs with Cygwin SSL/TLS tool

From: Steven E. Harris
Subject: Re: Trouble connecting with IMAP (Windows Emacs with Cygwin SSL/TLS tools)
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 10:20:02 -0500

Ted Zlatanov <tzz@lifelogs.com> writes:

> I haven't replied because I don't know much about Emacs coding
> systems, but it's been a while since you made this report.

Thanks for reviving the topic. Steinar Bang recently took up a similar
discussion on the ding list.¹

> Have you found a workaround, have things started working with a newer
> Emacs CVS, or are you still stuck?

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck. I haven't installed a newer Emacs; the
one I have installed is GNU Emacs 22.3.1, built on 6 September 2008. I
have updated my Gnus installation to track the CVS repository.

As I mentioned earlier, I had been building up my Emacs installation to
be parallel with the XEmacs setup I've built over the last ten years or
so, but I'm never going to make the switch until I get Gnus working
properly.

> I don't have a Cygwin setup here but I can make one if no one else can
> help debug this.

What would happen if someone installed Emacs on Windows without Cygwin?
Could Gnus running in Emacs still make secure connections to an IMAP
server? I'm loath to install another OpenSSL package, given that the
Cygwin one is already there on my computer, but perhaps that's what it's
going to take.

What's odd here is that a non-Cygwin Emacs is able to use various Cygwin
programs without trouble. What is special about this case, where
apparently openssl as invoked by Emacs is able to negotiate a secure
connection properly, but not get the actual payload content through as
expected?

Dangerous as it may be, how does one convince Gnus /not/ to use a secure
connection to an IMAP server? I'd like to try that temporarily to see if
it works when we take openssl out of the picture.

Footnotes:
¹ http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.gnus.general/67801/focus=67809

--
Steven E. Harris