Re: When I customize a group, where is that metadata stored?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: When I customize a group, where is that metadata stored?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:37:57 +0100

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

Hi Andreas,

>>> But as you see, you can set `gnus-permanently-visible-groups' in
>>> your ~/.gnus.el to achieve your goal.
>>
>> It always help to know where to start. That should do it. Many thanks
>> Tassilo!!
>
> Of course it wasn't all that simple.
>
> gnus-permanently-visible-groups wants a regexp. I want to set a bunch
> of groups as visible that's frankly impossible to create one regexp
> for. Now my lack of elisp skill is failing me. How to a make up a
> bunch of regexpes and attach them all to
> gnus-permanently-visible-groups? Is it even doable?

Of course it's doable!  For regexps I like the `rx' macro, which does
all the work for you while maintaining a much better structured view on
the regexp.

Here's an example:

(setq gnus-permanently-visible-groups
      (rx (or ;; try all following matchers till one succeeds.
           ;; Match all groups starting with "de." or "comp."...
           (and bol (or "de." "comp."))
           ;; plus these two groups.
           "foo.bar.baz"
           "foo.bla.bla")))

In that example all groups that start with "de." or "comp." would be
permanently visible, plus the two groups "foo.bar.baz" and
"foo.bla.bla".

Hope that helps,
Tassilo
--
GNU Emacs is a text editor for Über-Geeks.