Re: Cannot send messages to newsgroups

From: Hermann
Subject: Re: Cannot send messages to newsgroups
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:32:32 +0200

On 13.10.2008 at 15:08:35 Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hermann <meinelisten@onlinehome.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>> when I try to send a message to newsgroups, it failed with the exit
>> code 65.
>> this message appears in the status line, and I couldn't figure out what
>> this means.
>> I use msmtp as mta, that forwards all messages to my provider's mail
>> service (1und1, Germany).
>> I have no trouble sending mail, it is only a phenomenon that appears in
>> newsgroups.
>> Any ideas?
>> Hermann
>
> Hi, it's perhaps configuration with ~/.msmtprc
>
> Below is my, try it.
>
> account default
> host smtp.gmail.com
> domain smtp.gmail.com
> tls on
> tls_certcheck off
> tls_starttls on
> auth on

The "auth" variable seems to be the problem: Turnign it into "on"
instead of "login" disables msmtp. I guess my ISP's server doesn't
accept any other login method than "login".
The question is however, why sending mails to persons and mailing lists
succeed? I posted my original news with Thunderbird, where my ISP is
set as the standard smtp server, but, of course, without stuff like msmtp.
Hermann