Gmail IMAP to behave more like traditional IMAPs?

From: Sivaram Neelakantan
Subject: Gmail IMAP to behave more like traditional IMAPs?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 22:02:51 +0530

I have no idea where Gmail's IMAP support deviates from the
standards.   Just thought I'd post the link where it claims one can
set it in such a way, that you can get the expected behaviour.

http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/new-in-labs-advanced-imap-controls.html

There are also some more obscure options for those of you who want to
make Gmail's IMAP work more like traditional IMAP providers: you can
turn off auto-expunge or trash messages when they're no longer visible
through IMAP.

The IMAP protocol allows messages to be marked for deletion, a sort of
limbo state where a message is still present in the folder but slated
to be deleted the next time the folder is expunged. In our standard
IMAP implementation, when you mark a message as deleted, Gmail doesn't
let it linger in that state -- it deletes (or auto-expunges) it from
the folder right away. If you want the two-stage delete process, after
you've enabled this Lab, just select 'Do not automatically expunge
messages' under the 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP' tab in Settings.

For all those who have IMAP issues, this *might* help in fixing
things?

 sivaram