Re: Gnus PGG: Saving cleartext

From: John Hasler
Subject: Re: Gnus PGG: Saving cleartext
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 16:23:24 -0500

Cor Gest writes:
> Yes, but why ?  the receipient must have given his public key...

It need only be on the keyservers.

> ...if one doe not care about it why have a key in the first place ?

I have a key because I am a Debian developer and must sign my packages.
Others may have keys so that they can sign messages so that they can be
authenticated but see no need for secrecy.

Cor Gest writes:
> subpoena's ? I rest my case ...

On what?  If I did Internet banking (I don't) I would require my bank to
encrypt any statements they emailed to me but I certainly would see no need
to encrypt them locally.  The threat model would be identity theft, not
breach of secrecy, and subpoenas would be no threat at all (nor would
encryption be any protection in a civil case).

> better not keep even the crypted version on any disk too

Do you destroy all your bank statements immediately after reading them?

> ...storing in clear-text is allready possible, which needs a consious
> decision and action to do so.

Too much action.  A simple "save-unencrypted" command would be useful, but
I know of none.  If you do please tell me about it.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org