Re: rss, links and external browser

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: rss, links and external browser
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 10:03:29 +0900

> I am using gnus to read some rss feeds.
> Sometimes, I want to follow links.

> my .emacs has this:

> ;; Found this config here:
> ;; http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/JorgenSchaefersEmacsConfig
> (defun fc-choose-browser (url &rest args)
>   (interactive "sURL: ")
>   (if (y-or-n-p "Use external browser? ")
>       (browse-url-generic url)
>     (w3m-browse-url url)))

> (setq browse-url-browser-function 'fc-choose-browser)
> (global-set-key "\C-xm" 'browse-url-at-point)

> Whenever there is a link like: http://www.google.de,
> it works as expected. I am asked whether I want
> to use my internal or external browser.

> But if there is a "rendered" link like: Go _here_ to read
> on, I always end up in w3m and have to press M to
> read in my external browser.
> C-x m works, mouse and enter on the link do not.

> So, which function is called using enter/mouse on a link and
> how can I change this to the way I am used to?

In html articles rendered by emacs-w3m, the `w3m-minor-mode-map'
keymap controls what command is called by a key or an event.  So,
in the ~/.emacs-w3m.el file, you can modify it as follows:

(define-key w3m-minor-mode-map "KEY" 'COMMAND)

But if you use pretty recent emacs-w3m[1], I think the following
one is just what you want:

(setq w3m-goto-article-function 'browse-url)

The default value of this variable is nil and emacs-w3m uses its
certain function when following links in html articles.

[1] You can get the most recent one from the emacs-w3m CVS server
    or: http://cvs.namazu.org/emacs-w3m.tar.gz

Regards,