IMAP working, sort of, but how to subscribe to a mail as a group?

From: Ed
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:53:34 -0700 (PDT)

Howdy all!

Recently I have been converting to an IMAP mail server instead of POP,
and having some troubles.

I'm using emacs 22.2.1 and gnus 5.11.

To simplify matters I have commented out all my group sorting of
messages. All I have in my .gnus is this:

(setq imap-ssl-program "/usr/bin/openssl s_client -ssl3 -CAfile /home/
ed/ssl/ed.crt -key /home/ed/.ssh/id_dsa -connect %s:993")
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnimap "mail"
                                  (nnimap-address "mail")
                                  (nnimap-server-port 993)
                                  (nnimap-list-pattern ("INBOX"))
                                  (nnimap-stream ssl)
))

I also deleted my .newsrc file, to start fresh, and moved my ~/Mail
subdirectory.

When I open gnus I am subscribed to no groups, but when I hit "L" I
see two:

       0: nndraft:queue
       0: nndraft:drafts

When I hit U to subscribe to a new group, there's nothing else
available.

But if I hit ^, I see:
     {nnfolder:archive} (closed)
     {nnimap:mail} (opened) (agent)

If I put point on the second line, and hit SPC, I see:
K    474: INBOX

Hitting SPC on that line, I see my email messages in a *Summary*
buffer, and can read and reply to them.

How do I get them into a group in the *Groups* buffer?

Thanks!

Ed