Re: GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 23:10:28 +0200

On Thu, Jul 17 2008, Volkan YAZICI wrote:

> [I know this question has been raised many times before, but I
> couldn't find an appropriate thread fits to my situation. If you knew
> one, don't hesistate to bash me.]
>
> Despite below configurations, calling GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE on an article
> from "18 Oct 2007" returns "Expiry recovered 0 NOV entries, deleted 0
> files, and freed 0.000000 B." and obviously no expiration occurs. Any
> ideas what I might be missing?
>
>   (defun custom-nnmail-expiry-wait (group)
>     (cond ((string-match "mail" (gnus-group-topic group)) 90)
>           (t 30)))
>
>   (setq
>    gnus-agent-expire-all nil
>    gnus-agent-expire-days 7
>    gnus-agent-expire-unagentized-dirs t

Sorry, I don't use the agent and don't know enough about it to help.

>    nnmail-expiry-wait 7
>    message-expires 7
>    nnmail-expiry-wait-function 'custom-nnmail-expiry-wait
>    gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups ".*")

> BTW, among gnus-agent-expire-days,

See (info "(gnus)Agent Expiry").

> nnmail-expiry-wait,

See (info "(gnus)Expiring Mail").

,----[ (info "(message)News Headers") ]
`----

> and nnmail-expiry-wait-function,

See (info "(gnus)Expiring Mail").

> how gnus decides which one to use?

Only nnmail-expiry-wait-function and nnmail-expiry-wait are closely
related.  The others serve a completely different purpose.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)