sending email via smtp-server: SSL?

From: Martin Steffen
Subject: sending email via smtp-server: SSL?
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 19:15:21 +0200

Hi,

I have the following question: I want to send email via gnus. That works
very well since years for me. However, at the place here, there is the
following complication:

I want to use my laptop from home, and the way they set it up, I started to
use IMAP for reading, and the want that email is sent via  some server

       smpt.myorganization.xx

(BTW: When directly ``inside'' the net of my university, everything works
fine, it's only from home that I have trouble).  Now, the gnus-manual
recommends (if I am not mistaken) in that case the setting:

   (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
   (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
   (setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.myorganization.xx")

However, emails don't get sent. I noticed, that when trying to send emails
via evolution, emails don't get sent (presumably for the same reason)
_unless_ I configure evolution for sending emails a

         security option

namely stating that it uses a

         "use secure connection:   SSL-encryption"

How can I activate the same thing for gnus? Or maybe in general.

Thanks, Martin Steffen