SMTP-AUTH and TLS using port 587 from work and from home succeeded.

From: Torben Knudsen
Subject: SMTP-AUTH and TLS using port 587 from work and from home succeeded.
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 08:08:06 +0200

For over a year I have tried to get gnus sending mail with smtp-auth
and tls using port 587 from work and from home.  It has always worked
from work at university but not from home.  Now I succeeded with the
below setup in .gnus.  Maybe this is a problem for others.  The below
setup means that I am prompted for a password the first time I send an
email.

My emacs version is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version
2.12.9) of 2008-05-03 on terranova, modified by Ubuntu.

>From my .gnus

;; Placed before other tls and smtp stuff according to
;; http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SmtpAuth
(setq starttls-use-gnutls t)
(setq starttls-gnutls-program "gnutls-cli")
(setq starttls-extra-arguments nil)

;; Send mail using SMTP on the mail submission port 587.

(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.control.aau.dk" 587 "tk@es.aau.dk"
nil))
      smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.control.aau.dk"
      smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.control.aau.dk"
      send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      smtpmail-auth-credentials
           '(("smtp.control.aau.dk" 587 "tk@es.aau.dk" nil)))

--
Associate Prof. Ph.D Torben Knudsen     Mobile  : (+45) 2787 9826
Section of Automation and Control,      Email   : tk@es.aau.dk