Re: rss and password authentication

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: rss and password authentication
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:34:16 -0500

On Tue, 27 May 2008 01:17:15 -0700 (PDT) knubee <knubee@gmail.com> wrote:

k> Some rss feeds require authentication. I tried the approach listed
k> here: http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/GnusAuthinfo but the site
k> just keeps asking for login and password (over and over). How to solve
k> this? thanks.

Get the latest Emacs from CVS (it has the changes I've made).  That will
be sufficient to authenticate RSS (actually, HTTP) as your preferred
user name.  Specifically, you need the auth-source.el and url-auth.el
libraries.  You may want the latest Gnus from CVS as well.

Note the default file, specified in the `auth-sources' variable, is
~/.authinfo.gpg.  You can specify a plain file instead but I recommend
setting up EPA and creating that encrypted file.

Once set up, you'll see in the *Messages* buffer that it tries to find
an entry for a particular machine and port.  You need to specify those
in your authinfo/netrc file.

You're the second person that's needed this, so let me know if it fails
for you in any way.

Thanks
Ted