Re: How do use the email based diary?

From: Lowell Gilbert
Subject: Re: How do use the email based diary?
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:15:30 -0400

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> I've read the manual and came away confused. I thought the idea of
> getting e-mail reminders of diary entries of meetings sounded like a
> good idea, but I must confess that I don't understand how to use it.
>
> I have followed the steps in the manual, down to the procmail rule and
> all. But, what now? I have to create a mail with a special header
> somehow. I got the impression it could be automated but I'm at a total
> loss.
>
> Someone care to rephrase the manual, or tell me in a more tutorial like
> way how to use this facility?

There are several ways to do this; I don't know which node you were
reading in the manual.

I once made my own Lisp program for this, but these days I use the
standard diary-mail-entries command from a (Unix) crontab, like so:

30      4       *       *       *       /usr/local/bin/emacs --batch -l .emacs
-f diary-mail-entries >/dev/null 2>&1

[diary-mail-days, diary-file, and a bunch of other tweaks are set in
my .emacs file]