Re: spam filtering : I dont want a watch!

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: spam filtering : I dont want a watch!
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:24:01 -0500

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:46:24 +0200 Richard G Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com>
wrote:

RGR> The plethora of googlegroups spam recently for fake watches and handbags
RGR> polluting my nntp groups is starting to gnaw at me.

RGR> What might the best gnus way of handling it be? Currently I just score
RGR> down the source but it keeps subtly changing and I dont want to kill
RGR> googlegroups as a source.

RGR> I have NoCEM enabled and thought this might stop it.

RGR> Preferably a "top level" solution as opposed to group specific. And and
RGR> all suggestions appreciated.

Gnus has spam.el for this.  It may be flexible enough for you.

With GMane NNTP, there's a way to report spam and to check if an article
is considered spam quickly.

With general NNTP servers, you can check new (unseen) articles when you
enter a NNTP group and automatically mark them as spam if the backend
says so.  You could use any of the backends available: bogofilter,
CRM114, dspam, built-in spam-stat.el, etc.  You could also report the
spam to your backend, though it's only for your personal use at that
point as opposed to the GMane reporting which benefits everyone.  The
big downside is that these are all statistical filters that need the
whole message, so you'll be downloading all the unseen messages in the
group.

Ted